Friday, March 06, 2015

Friday Thoughts

Have taken a look at that website link that Margie mentioned.  Great similarity to the smallholding that Kathryn is hoping to set-up, so info given that may help cut a few corners for her.  How I wish I was young enough to start self-sufficiency all over again.   Life isn't nearly as much fun now I can afford to buy what I need (even sometimes what I want). 

Yesterday filled my trolley with another lot of unwanted food from my larder, this too will be collected by my daughter and be shared around.   Am still finding my taste buds have disappeared and so almost anything I eat I now don't enjoy, in many cases even dislike what I used to love.  On the good side I have developed a great liking for Brussels sprouts!  

At least the much smaller portions of food that I do manage to eat are helping me lose weight, albeit slowly.  Water retention now seems under control, the doctor did say it would take some weeks for the heart pills to kick in (the extra strength of these are helping, as well as fluid retention pills).  All I need now is to take something for depression, eating for comfort doesn't now work.

At least I have the sailing club desserts to occupy my mind, but doubt very much I will go to the 'do' as my Beloved spent so much time there it as if his personality was soaked into the place (too many memories), and I don't think I could cope with a lot of people coming up to chat and see how I am coping.  Have to wait until the day to see how I feel.
My daughter is going so she will take the desserts and me too if necessary.

Thanks to jane, Kathryn and Sarina for giving prices for those sacks of pony carrots, also good to hear that onions can also be bought cheaply by the sack.   Both veggies store quite a long time (carrots in fridge, onions in a basket in the kitchen....).  Are there any other veggies that can be bought cheaply by the sack (and keep for several weeks/months) from farm stores/pet shops?

The Poor Knight's of Windsor is a very old and traditional recipe Janette. It may have other names in different regions of the UK.  Suppose it is basically a cross between a jam sandwich and eggy-bread and in more recent years, given different fillings, can end up either savoury or sweet.

Have to say that even though my left foot is still 'gouty' (seems to have moved into my big toe now), am not finding it too much trouble to walk around with the help of sticks or zimmer frame.  Or maybe just getting used to it.  Things could be worse.  I suppose.

Although not yet back into the 'recipes each day', that I used to give, perhaps better to give one occasionally that really does make a good meal while using up left-overs and store-cupboard ingredients.  Here is one that can make use of roasted vegetables (the ones given are red onion, yellow bell pepper, courgette... but of course you could use any Mediterranean veggies that you would normally have roasted.
This is even easier than my original 'pan-fry' recipe where the pizza dough was made using yogurt.

Roasted Vegetable Pan-Fry Pizza:  serves 4
Roasted yellow pepper, courgette, red onion
8 oz (225g) self-raising flour
salt and pepper
pinch of dried mixed herbs (opt)
2 tblsp olive oil
4 - 5 tblsp water
5 tblsp tomato sauce (or puree)
2 oz (50g) grated Cheddar cheese
Cut the roasted veggies into even-sized chunks, slices or wedges, and drizzle with a little of the oil.
If roasting from raw, once cooked (beginning to char), remove from oven and set aside to cool.
Heat the grill to Medium, then season the flour well and mix with the remaining oil and enough water to make a soft dough.
Knead gently for a few minutes, then roll out onto a floured surface to form an 8" (20cm) circle, then lift this onto a non-stick frying pan and fry over medium heat for 4 - 5 minutes until the underside begins to brown.  Then turn it over and fry for a further 4 minutes.
Spread the tomato sauce over the upper surface of the base, scatter with the roasted veggies, the sprinkle the cheese on top.   Grill for 3 - 4 minutes until the cheese has melted.  Serve sliced into wedges.

It doesn't take much imagination to alter the topping to suit what you want to use up such as ham, or tuna and sweetcorn, bacon, chorizo, mushrooms, onions.....  If necessary, cook or part-cook toppings before placing on the cooked base.

That's it for today, hope to be with you again over the weekend, if not it should be Monday. TTFN







.   

.